Pre-Tan & After Care
Pre - Tan
The following pre-tanning procedure is absolutely essential to achieve a great spray tan. By not following these simple tasks you risk poor tanning results!
1.Exfoliate. 24 hrs prior to your appointment.
Spray tanning solution affects only your dead skin cells and your skin typically has layers of built up dead skin cells on top of it. The thicker the layer, the sooner it will rub off. If you exfoliate, the layer will be very shallow, and it will take a while for it to “build up”. To make your tan last longer, it is important to use products that don't contain any oils, otherwise the oily barrier left on your skin can stop the spray tanning solution from getting through. Also do not wash with bar soap of any kind on the day of your tan as it will leave a layer of film on your skin and prevent an even tan.
2. Wax/shave your legs/armpits before your spray tan.
Shaving must be done between 8 and 24 hours prior to your spray tan and waxing must be done at least 24 hours prior. This is to ensure all of your pores are closed otherwise the pores may get tan in and appear "spotty".
3. Don't wear any deodorant, make-up, perfumes or moisturizer before a spray tan. Many deodorants will stop spray tanning solution going through. Some others will turn the armpits green! Few moisturizers and makeup products can act as a barrier, not letting the full amount of the solution to attach itself to the skin. Instead moisturise fully the day before your tan as this will help your tan last longer.
4. Wear loose-fitting clothing after your spray tan.
After you receive your spray tan the tan needs time to “set” and this takes about an hour. It is therefore best to wear clothes and shoes (preferably flip flops) that are as loose as possible after your spray tanning to make sure nothing rubs off.
Try to ensure they are dark garments. Color may transfer to clothes and/or sheets during the first 6-8 hours after being sprayed. If this happens, wash fabric as you normally would to remove the color.
1. Leave your tan for at least 5-7 hours and/or overnight if possible before showering or taking a bath. This allows your tan to develop. Avoid wearing socks or shoes after your tanning session as sweating can inhibit the development of your tan. Flip-flops are a good choice.
2. Avoid applying moisturiser or deodorants.
3. Avoid wearing tight clothing for at least 2 hours.
4. All swimming, showering and vigorous exercise must be avoided for at least 5 hours as this can inhibit the development of your tan.
5. Don't shave until 12 hours after your treatment.
6. Try to avoid sitting on light coloured fabrics until you've showered or taken a bath as the colour guide bronzer can cause discolouration.
Remember. When you take a shower or a bath you will probably see some colour wash off. Don't worry. This is quite normal as it is only the colour guide that the spray tan technician uses when the tan is applied. You will be left with a gorgeous tan.
It is recommended you follow these general guidelines to maintain your tan:
1. Moisturise regularly (use oil-free moisturiser).
2. Avoid long hot baths and showers as these speed up exfoliation.
3. Pat your skin dry after a bath or shower. Rubbing your skin may rub off your tan.
4. For the longest lasting tan avoid swimming pools or salt water as these can reduce your tan.